The Society of Southwestern Authors is a nonprofit association of writers, and other publishing professionals, founded in 1972. Its objective is to conduct a program of activities designed to:
- Promote mutually supportive friendship among writers.
- Provide recognition of members' achievements.
- Encourage and assist persons seeking to become published writers.
MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTSPROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP is open to any individual who satisfies one of the following qualifications:
- Author or coauthor of a book or at least six (6) poems, short stories, or magazine articles that have been sold and commercially published. Self-published books are accepted at the discretion of the Board. Submit ten (10) pages from books or tear sheets with by-line for magazines and poems, with application
- Author or coauthor of a stage play, motion picture script, radio or television script which has been sold and commercially produced.
- Is a writer with a minimum of three (3) years' professional experience who is or has been employed by one of the accepted media.
- Is or has been closely associated with the writing profession by virtue of his/her occupation as an editor, publisher, photographer/illustrator or the like. Submit samples of work with application.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP is open to any individual who demonstrates to us an interest in becoming a professional writer:
- Associates can now be a Member-at-large on the Board and can vote.
- MONTHLY MEETINGS
The Society holds monthly forums in Tucson featuring programs of interest to writers, providing members and guests with an opportunity to mingle and network with those who have similar interests. A calendar and description of forums are in the Write Word. Please R.S.V.P. forums by Wednesday before the forum by calling 546-9382 or e-mailing email@example.com.
- TUCSON SELF-PUBLISHING EXPO
In our first annual Tucson Self-Publishing Expo, we will bring together experts in self-publishing and have a display area for vendors to present products and services as well as answer questions related to self-publishing and book marketing. This expo is open to members and nonmembers alike.
- WRITING CONTEST
The Society also sponsors a writing contest which includes three categories: short story, personal essay/memoirs, and poetry. It is open to beginning and published authors. Winners receive cash prizes. You do not have to be a member to enter.
- THE WRITE WORD NEWSLETTER
The Society publishes The Write Word bi-monthly; it contains information about future events, news about members' activities and achievements, marketing information, and writing tips. SSA members are encouraged to send submissions to The Write Word. Please check the Writers' Guidelines or email the editor for more information.
- MEMBERSHIP ROSTER
The Society supplies each member with a roster containing information about the members.
- MENTORSHIP/WRITING GROUPS
Professional members offer their help to other SSA members in various writing categories and we are coordinating writing groups that will also be listed The Write Word.
(NOTE: we are merely listing writing groups here, we do not control their members or message)
LET US HEAR FROM YOU!If the Society sounds like the kind of organization that you would like to join, fill in the application and return it. If you would like to look us over first, call the Luncheon Reservation Line (546-9382) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and arrange to attend a meeting (usually third Sunday of the month).
You can also write to the SSA at: P.O. Box 30355, Tucson, AZ 85751-0355
or Email: email@example.com